Goal Setting 2013
Air One Football Academy
G O A L S E T T I N G
“A Goal without a plan is a wish.” ~ John Charles
In order for goal setting to work for you, the following guidelines should be followed:
1. Goals should be difficult but realistic to achieve (Unrealistic goals create anxiety.)
2. Goals should be specific, observable and measurable.
3. Set ‘short term’ as well as ‘long term’ goals.
4. Set performance or techniques goals rather than outcome or do your best goals.
5. Write your goals down ("ink what you think")!
6. Discuss your goals with at least one other person.
7. Set the goals yourself rather than simply adopt someone else's goals for you.
8. Get goal support through coaches, teammates and other important people in your life.
9. Evaluate your goals and adjust the goals difficulty for the future so goals are challenging.
10. Rain or shine- Just do it!
COMMON ERRORS IN GOAL SETTING
• Setting too many goals too quickly
• Setting unrealistic goals based on your current level of performance, i.e. - Saying you want to run a 4.3 forty by August, when you currently run a 4.8. It’s not going to happen.
I encourage you to set a goal and make a plan, so that your wishes can come true.